Abingdon

Abingdon Bridge

Abingdon Bridge

Abingdon  (pop. 6441). A municipal borough in the Abingdon division of the county. It is situated at the junction of the river Ock with the Thames, 61 miles from Paddington by railway, and 56 miles from London by road. It was incorporated by Charter granted by Philip and Mary in 1555. Its trade is mainly in agricultural produce, and its manufactures are carpets, woollen goods, and sacking. We have already referred to the remains of its great Benedictine Abbey as well as to its churches, Christ's Hospital, and the Town Hall. The Earl of Abingdon is the High Steward of the borough.