Kensington Gardens

Kensington Gardens .—At the western extremity of Hyde Park lie Kensington Gardens, a large piece of ground laid out in the ornamental park style, interspersed with walks, and ornamented with rows and clumps of noble trees.  Besides entrances from Hyde Park, there are others from the Knightsbridge and Bayswater Roads.  Near the west end of the grounds stands Kensington Palace.  The gardens have been more than once considerably extended, so that they now measure about two and a-half miles in circumference.  There are some beautiful gates on the south side, which were contributed by the Coalbrook Dale Company to the Great Exhibition of 1851.  These grounds form a most delightful public promenade during fine weather; especially on summer evenings, when one of the Guards' bands frequently plays near the south-east corner.