Marlborough House

Marlborough House .—This building, the residence of the Prince and Princess of Wales, is immediately east of St. James's Palace, being separated from it only by a carriage-road.  It was built by Sir Christopher Wren, in 1709, as a residence for the great Duke of Marlborough.  The house was bought from the Marlborough family by the Crown in 1817, as a residence for the Princess Charlotte.  It was afterwards occupied in succession by Leopold (the late king of the Belgians) and the Dowager Queen Adelaide.  More recently it was given up to the Government School of Design; and the Vernon and Turner pictures were for some time kept there.  The building underwent various alterations preparatory to its occupation by the Prince of Wales.