Monument to the Great Fire of London

The Monument .—This may be regarded as a corporate structure, although it answers no useful purpose.  It is a fluted Doric column, situated in a small space of ground adjoining the southern extremity of King William Street, on the descent to Lower Thames Street.  It was begun in 1671, and finished in 1677, at a cost of about £14,500, in commemoration of the Great Fire of London, which began at the distance of 202 feet eastward from the spot, in 1666; and its height has on that account (so we are told) been made 202 feet.  It is a handsome column, with a gilt finial intended to represent flames of fire.  Visitors are allowed to ascend by a winding stair of 345 steps to the top; fee, 3d.  No better place can be chosen from which to view the river, the shipping, and the city generally.