Somerset House

Somerset House , in the Strand, was built in 1549 by the Protector Somerset; and, on his attainder and execution, fell to the Crown.  Old Somerset House was pulled down in 1775, and the present building erected in 1780, after the designs of Sir Wm. Chambers.  The rear of the building faces the Thames, its river frontage being 600 feet long, and an excellent specimen of Palladian architecture.  In Somerset House are several Government offices—among the rest, a branch of the Admiralty, the Inland Revenue, and the Registrar-General's department.  More than 900 clerks are employed in the various offices.  The rooms in which Newspaper Stamps are produced by ingenious processes, and those in which the Registrar-General keeps his voluminous returns of births, marriages, and deaths, are full of interest; but they are not accessible for mere curiosity.  The learned Societies are removed to Burlington House, Piccadilly.

Somerset House, King's College, Waterloo Bridge, &c.
(St. Clement's and St. Mary's Churches in the
distance.)