St. James’s Palace

St. James's Palace and Park.  (Green Park in the
distance.)
St. James's Palace
.—This is an inelegant brick structure, having its front towards Pall Mall.  Henry VIII. built it in 1530, on the site of what was once an hospital for lepers.  The interior consists of several spacious levée and drawing rooms, besides other state and domestic apartments.  This palace is only used occasionally by the Queen for levées and drawing-rooms; for which purposes, notwithstanding its awkwardness, the building is better adapted than Buckingham Palace.  The fine bands of the Foot Guards play daily at eleven, in the Colour Court, or in an open quadrangle on the east side.  The Chapel Royal and the German Chapel are open on Sundays—the one with an English service, and the other with service in German.