Westminster Hall

Westminster Hall .—Although now made, in a most ingenious manner, to form part of the sumptuous edifice just described, Westminster Hall  is really a distinct building.  It was the old hall of the original palace of Westminster, built in the time of William Rufus, but partly re-constructed in 1398.  The carved timber roof is regarded as one of the finest in England.  The hall is 290 feet long, 68 wide, and 110 high.  There are very few buildings in the world so large as this unsupported by pillars.  The southern end, both within and without, has been admirably brought into harmony with the general architecture of the Palace of Parliament.  Doors on the east side lead to the House of Commons; doors on the west lead to the Courts of Chancery Queen's Bench Common Pleas Exchequer Probate and Divorce , &c.  No building in England is richer in associations with events relating to kings, queens, and princes, than Westminster Hall.  St. Stephen's Crypt , lately restored with great splendour, is entered from the south end of the Hall.